What is Better Foliage Mod?
It is a mod that aims to offer us different configuration options to play with the appearance of the foliage of the trees, plants and herbs of Minecraft. The author of this mod is inspired by a popular mod that long ago stopped updating, Better Grass and Leaves.
Dynamic lighting and shadows that you see in the image do not belong to this mod. To get that aspect also you should install GLSL Shader Mod.
The mod is client only, although it will not crash your server if you add it accidentally.
Extra leaves will be rendered for each leaf block that has at least one side touching an air block. Grass will be rendered for grass blocks with an air block above them.
There is a config GUI, opened by pressing F8 (configurable), or using the config button after selecting it in your mod list. Here you can set rendering options for grass and leaves.
- On/Off: self-explanatory
- Size: size of the extra polygons, relative to block diameter
- Offset: how much off-center the polygons should be (relative to diameter), to break up the regularity. Separate horizontal and vertical value for leaves
- Offset mode: leaves only. In Translate mode, round leaves will be moved off-center, but have a perfect 45° angle. In Skew mode, leaves will stay centered, but the corners will be dragged around.
- Height: for grass only, minimum and maximum values
- Flower Chance: how many lilypads out of 64 should have a flower on them
- Reeds/Algae Chance: how many suitable blocks out of 64 should have reeds/algae (approximate)
There’s some minor inconvenience with short grass: because mipmaps and transparency are not good friends, the grass looks darker than it should at a distance, and large flat patches of grass look a bit weird. If you have the horsepower for it, turn off mipmaps and crank up anisotropic filtering in the video settings.
Works fine with the GLSL Shader Mod. You may want to turn off the short grass though: because of the shadow map resolution the grass looks like it is floating slightly above the block (it doesn’t).
The mod does not need textures supplied for the crossed leaf polygons for each and every leaf type, as it will generate them on the fly, making it very easy to use: it will (should) support every mod and texture pack automagically.
Confirmed to support leaves from: Vanilla, BOP, Natura, Forestry and Thaumcraft.
How to install Better Foliage Mod 1.11.2/1.10.2:
- Download and install the correct Minecraft Forge.
- Download the Better Foliage Mod 1.10.2 /1.11.2 / 1.7.10
- Run Minecraft once to ensure that Minecraft Forge is installed correctly. A Mods button should now be available in the main menu.
- Download a copy of the Better Foliage Mod jar (zip) and save it to the directory %appdata%/Roaming/.minecraft/mods. The mods directory is created by Minecraft Forge in the previous step.
- Click “Load Basic Components” when you start Minecraft.
- Run Minecraft and enjoy!
For Minecraft 1.7.2
For Minecraft 1.7.10
For Minecraft 1.8
For Minecraft 1.8.9
For Minecraft 1.9
For minecraft 1.9.4
For minecraft 1.10.2
For minecraft 1.11
For Minecraft 1.11.2