LazyDFU is an incredibly useful optimization mod for Minecraft. It increases the game’s overall performance by optimizing how it performs initialization work – by deferring unnecessary initialization work and only creating the rules required for data migration when absolutely necessary, this mod helps to reduce overall strain on the server environment. This is important for players who want a smoother gaming experience, since it means that the initialization of DataFixerUpper doesn’t happen before it actually needs to, allowing you to enjoy your favorite game with barely noticeable delay.
Minecraft can be a pretty grind-filled game. Players can spend large amounts of time doing tasks, such as strip-mining for resources like redstone, gold, lapis lazuli, or diamond.
Since some of these tasks take so long to finish, it is common for players to have other programs running, such as Spotify for music or YouTube for videos.
The LazyDFU mod, however, smoothens the resource draw of the game, making it easier for players’ computers to run multiple programs and multitask.
📖What is DataFixerUpper?
DataFixerUpper (DFU) is an important part of Minecraft’s data migration system. It ensures that all of the game’s data remains consistent across versions so that players don’t experience any hiccups when upgrading or downgrading their version of the game. However, DFU can be quite processor intensive; without proper optimization, loading times for DFU rules can become incredibly long.
✅How Does LazyDFU Work?
LazyDFU works to address this issue by making DFU “lazy.” In other words, rather than immediately creating the rules required to migrate data from older versions to newer versions, it will only do so if it actually needs to do so. This effectively reduces the amount of processing power needed to run DFU and helps ensure that players don’t experience any lag or slowdown in their game due to long loading times for DFU rulesets.
In addition, LazyDFU also allows players to customize their own data migration rulesets within their worlds’ config files. This means that players can create custom configurations for certain blocks or items and tailor them specifically for their particular devices or play styles – all without having to wait for additional loading time from DFU’s default rulesets.
LazyDFU 0.1.2 is compatible with Minecraft 1.14 through 1.18.2, and works on the client and server side.
LazyDFU 0.1.3 is compatible with Minecraft 1.19 and above, however Mojang now implements the functionality LazyDFU provides on the server side. The client still initializes all DFU rules by default, so LazyDFU hooks into the native client functionality that enables DFU rule baking and turns it into a no-op.
Did this mod make Minecraft playable for you? Chip in a bit of money so I can continue developing it.
✅Why does it work?
DataFixerUpper (often abbreviated to DFU) is the Minecraft component responsible for handling world upgrades from older versions of Minecraft to newer versions. DFU is initialized very early in the Minecraft startup process – in fact, it’s initialized before the game window even appears. It is laughably overengineered and very slow, but it’s what Mojang gives us to work with.
As part of the DFU initialization process, it caches rules required to convert from older versions to MInecraft through every version in between, up to the version of the game being launched. This process takes place in the background, but it is extremely slow, as it is both CPU and memory intensive. With Minecraft 1.16.5, I have measured this process take 9 seconds on a Ryzen 9 3900X desktop (a high-end desktop CPU released in 2019) and 57 seconds on a laptop with an i5-8250U (a mid-range laptop chip from 2017).
All LazyDFU does is stop this process – it lets DFU initialize, but it will force it to not cache all these rules. As a result, the DFU rules are only compiled when a world needs to be converted. This means it is possible you may see lag spikes if LazyDFU forces the game to compile migration rules, but once complete there is no performance penalty.
✅Comparing it to other mods
In comparison to other mods, LazyDFU has the primary advantage of being simple, safe, and having low impact on the game.
- LazyDFU is a very simple mod. The entire mod is about a dozen lines of code, about as uncomplicated as a mod can get, while still delivering huge benefits. (This means it’s also an ideal mod to use to experiment with a new Mixin platform!)
- LazyDFU is highly compatible and safe. LazyDFU is extremely unlikely to conflict with other mods. This mod is based on a similar patch in Paper that had been in use for over a year with no reported issues with migrating to newer versions of Minecraft. (Paper has since changed to replacing Mojang’s data fixers with a highly optimized implementation of its own.)
✅How to install LazyDFU
- Download and install Forge or Fabric
- Make sure that you have the “Java” application installed.
- Download the “Zip” archive from our website.
- Inside this is a “Jar” mod. It can also contain old and new builds.
- Select the latest version of the “Jar” file that matches the game version.
- Please note that some releases may contain bugs, incompatibilities with other modifications, and in some cases may cause conflicts within Forge or Fabric. You can try installing the previous build to fix this.
- Move the “Jar” file to the “Mods” folder.
- This folder is located at the following path:Mac OS X:
/Users/Your Profile Name/Library/Application Support/minecraft/
Quick way to get there: Click on the desktop and then press the combination of “Command+Shift+G” keys at the same time.
Type ~/Library and press the “Enter” key.
Open the Application Support folder and then MinecraftWindows 11, 10, 8, 7:
C:\Users\Your Profile Name\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\
Quick way to get there: Press the “Windows” key and the “R” key at the same time.
Type %appdata% and press “Enter” key or click OK.
- The “Mods” folder is created automatically when you install Forge or Fabric, but you can always create it manually.
- Open the launcher and select the desired modloader.
- Launch the game and enjoy the new gameplay.
✅LazyDFU Mod — Download Links
|Update on||December 11, 2022|
|Get it on PC||