Mods are a great way to customize your Minecraft experience and bring new life to your game. With the Fabric mod loader, you can install all kinds of mods onto your PC, ranging from minimaps and HUD improvements to OptiFine integrations and more. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to install Fabric mods on your PC.
How to Install Fabric on Your PC
If you’re running a Fabric server that has mods for both server and client, or if you’re looking to improve client-side performance alongside other mods, you’ll need to download Fabric onto your client. This isn’t required if your server is running server-side only mods such as Lithium, but for client-side mods you’ll need to install Fabric locally.
- Download the Fabric installer from https://fabricmc.net/use/. Similar to Forge, this installer will generate all of the required files for whichever version of Minecraft you select. However, Fabric does not have multiple installers for each version and you can install any version you want via the same installer. This is also the same installer used for installing the server-side files.
- Open the Fabric installer, which should automatically have the
Clienttab selected at the top.
3. Select the Minecraft version you want to install onto your client. You can also select a version for the Fabric Mod Loader here, although it’s normally best left on the latest version unless required by a specific mod.
4. Ensure that the install location is set to the correct place. The correct location varies per operating system and install, but should look something like one of these depending on your platform:
~/.minecraftIf you’d like the installer to automatically create a selectable profile within your Minecraft launcher, make sure the
Create profilebox is checked.
5. If you’d like the installer to automatically create a selectable profile within your Minecraft launcher, make sure the
Create profile box is checked.
6. Click the Install button, and your install should complete within a few seconds! After that, click
OK and close off the installer.
7. Open the Minecraft Launcher and the newly created Fabric profile should automatically be selected. Click
Play, and your Fabric install will load up.
How To Download & Install Fabric Mods
This guide explains how to install mods onto your Fabric client. Fabric, like Forge, is a version of Minecraft that allows for mods to be run on both the server and client. For clients, Fabric offers many mods such as minimaps, HUD improvements, OptiFine integrations, and more.
To install Fabric mods onto your game, you’ll need to have Fabric installed onto your client. You can view our tutorial on how to install Fabric for your client here: How to install Fabric on your PC
- Download any mods you want to install onto your client. You can find Fabric mods on any sort of mod website, such as CurseForge. For this example, we’ll be installing Hwyla.
- Note that a large number of Fabric mods, including Hwyla, require the Fabric API; You can download the Fabric API from here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/fabric-api
- Once the mods have been downloaded, navigate to your Minecraft install folder. This varies per operating system and install, but should look something like this depending on your platform:
3. Open the
mods folder in your Minecraft install folder. If there isn’t a
mods folder there, you can create it.
4. Move the mod JAR files that you downloaded into the
mods folder in your Minecraft install folder.
5. After moving all the files, open the Minecraft Launcher and start the game using your Fabric profile.
Conclusion: Installing Fabric mods is an easy way to customize your Minecraft experience on PC and add some extra fun into the game! To get started, all you need is a compatible version of Minecraft (1.14+), the latest version of Fabric API, and a few of your favorite mods! With just these few steps, you can be up and running in no time at all! So what are you waiting for? It’s time to start customizing!